Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Law has the following full-time vacancy:
graduate teaching & research assistant in the field of labour law
As a graduate teaching & research assistant, you are part of the academic assistant staff (Dutch: Assisterend Academisch Personeel, AAP). You spend at least 50% of your working time preparing a PhD thesis. In addition, you play an assisting role in teaching, research and service activities.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of labour law. The PhD project is in line with the research lines of the Research group Business & Law. Your research proposal aligns with the research plan 'Taking the wheel again: towards 03mobility and logistics in the roaring twenties' which focuses on the mitigation of externalities, exploitation and exclusion in mobility and logistics (available on request). Other subjects may be considered.
- You organise your own PhD research and report on your progress regularly.
- You participate in the doctoral study programme at the Antwerp Doctoral School to support your PhD pathway.
- You provide support with teaching and also teach high-quality academic classes yourself
- You will provide, among other things, a legal practical in the bachelor of laws.
- You provide educational support for some course units, e.g.
- Arbeidsrecht (bachelor of laws)
- Grondige studie individueel arbeidsrecht (master of laws)
- Your teaching role evolves along with the study programmes.
- You supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations and you assist in the evaluation of these dissertations.
- You assist in ongoing research projects and the activities of the Business & Law research group.
- You present at academic conferences and aim to publish in scientific journals.
- You contribute to attracting (intern)national research funding.
- You play an active role in the academic and societal service provision of the Faculty of Law. You assist in student recruitment and alumni activities, supervise examinations and serve on boards and committees.
- You hold a law degree, a master's degree in law or master’s degree in human sciences with demonstrable expertise in legal research, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You submit a PhD proposal (in Dutch or English) that is in line with the content of the research programme of the research group Business & Law. This proposal of maximum 5 pages includes the following headings: ‘state of the art’, ‘research objectives’, ‘methodology’ and ‘bibliography’. You pay attention to the international/comparative dimension of your subject.
The prior conditions are conditions of admissibility.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results, especially regarding labour law and/or logistics.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You are motivated to work actively on your further professional development.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Preferably, you have adequate knowledge of Dutch (teaching and administrative language) and English (teaching language) to provide educational support. If your command of Dutch is not adequate, you will make agreements in your goal-setting interview to acquire sufficient adequate knowledge of Dutch in the short term. These agreements will be evaluated as part of the evaluation for the renewal of the appointment.
- You preferably have some experience in interdisciplinary research.
What we offer
- We offer an appointment as a graduate teaching & research assistant for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the appointment can be renewed twice up to a maximum period of six years.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for an assistant (academic assistant staff, AAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until Monday 13 February 2023 (CET). Applications submitted after this deadline will be declared inadmissible. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a motivation letter
- your research proposal (see above)
- a detailed account of your study results
- your (academic) CV
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: Wednesday 1 March 2023 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact dr. Wouter Verheyen, Tel. 0032 3 265 98 97 – firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.