We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. Our university's several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields. More information http://www.oulu.fi/english/
Wireless networking is one the most crucial element for realizing 5G, and later on 6G. 6G Flagship operated at the University of Oulu is the first public 6G research programme globally. During the first two years of its operation, the programme has produced more than 1,000 scientific publications and 50 doctoral theses. At the same time, the Flagship team has grown to 300 researchers, originally from more than 50 different countries. 6G Flagship has also produced a dozen 6G white papers on critical areas of 6G. The programme is also very active in organizing leading scientific events for discussing various aspects related to future mobile systems. As a result, 6G Flagship has become the world leader in 6G research with a significant number of industrial collaborators. Experts trained at the University of Oulu are desired partners in international projects and respected academics within the global research community. More information about our recent activities can be found at 6gchannel.com and 6gflagship.com.
For strengthening the Flagship team, the University of Oulu announce the following tenure track position:
Associate or Full Professor in Wireless Communications Engineering with focus on Wireless Network Technologies
The position is directed to investigate, apply, and design the fundamental theory and new solutions for wireless networking as well as educate students for those. A successful applicant is expected to master some of the fundamentals related to networking like queuing theory, network information theory, network coding or network protocols. A strong track record in acquiring research funding and projects, cooperation with industry, as well as implementing research projects are important for successful applicants for the position. Furthermore she/he should be able to present innovative plan and vision which renovates this field of science and technology, raise funding to build her/his research group during the first few years supplementing the research portfolio of the 6G Science Flagship and the unit.
The position will start from June 1, 2021, or later by mutual agreement with the successful applicant. The successful researchers appointed to a tenure track position may advance their career through the tenure track process.
The position is located in the Centre for Wireless Communications – Networks and Systems (CWC-NS) research unit, see http://www.oulu.fi/cwc/, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (see http://www.oulu.fi/itee). The position is initially funded by the national Science Flagship focusing on 6G Technologies (https://www.oulu.fi/6gflagship/). Research at CWC focuses on signal processing and RF engineering, radio access and network technologies as well as future wireless networks, IoT and vertical applications. The main application areas include 5G and beyond, IoT, secure virtualized networks, disaster prevention and recovery ICT, medical ICT, smart energy grids and mobile clouds. CWC employs a staff of about 200 persons including about 15 assistant, associate or full professors.
A person at tenure track system is expected to conduct outstanding world-class scientific research, to be competitive in attracting external funding, to publish in leading journals (IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory in this position) and conference reports, to supervise doctoral students, to be an active member of the international scientific community, and to create and teach related M.Sc. and D.Sc. level courses and to exhibit academic leadership.
The position of an associate professor or full professor is initially a fixed-term position for five years, but a continuation period may be granted, or the position may be made permanent. The advancement associate professor – professor – distinguished professor is described in the University of Oulu Tenure Track guidelines: http://www.oulu.fi/university/node/38379. Being granted continuation for the position requires meeting the below-mentioned criteria as well as successful research work as indicated in the University of Oulu Tenure Track guidelines.
Required Qualifications at Associate Professor and Full Professor Level of the Tenure Track:
Required qualifications and career advancement at each level of the tenure track: career advancement on the tenure track is based on performance assessments that measure the candidate’s merits.
When appointing a person to the position of an associate professor the applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria:
• The applicant has a doctoral degree in a relevant field;
• Publications at an international level (dissemination, quality of the publication forums, references to the publications);
• The applicant is expected to have international collaboration record, ideally working in more than one research facility during one’s career (in most fields represented at the University of Oulu this signifies working abroad, in a different research institute or university, faculty or industry);
• Experience in teaching and supervision of students and pedagogical training.
• Active role in the research training;
• Acquisition of external research funding;
• An active role in the international scientific community, acknowledgements and awards.
The person selected to a position of a Full Professor is required, in addition to above, to have
• Experience of leading scientific research and
• Skills to act as an academic leader.
What we offer
• You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on strategically and globally significant research area
• You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your research
• In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months / year.
• The salary of the appointed researcher will be based on the demand level chart for the teaching and research staff of Finnish Universities. In addition to the basic salary of the appropriate tenure track level, supplementary salary will be given for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level for the post. The salary range is roughly 4300–6000 €/month for an associate professor and 5500 – 7500 for full professor. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
• Other benefits: The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by March 14th, 2021 at 23:59 (Finnish local time).
The application should be written in English and the following must be included:
1) An application letter with contact information. The application letter must include information on which tenure track level the applicant is to be evaluated: associate professor or full professor.
2) A curriculum vitae following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (tutkimuseettinen neuvottelukunta). The guidelines are available at http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae and a template at http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf.
3) A complete list of publications, ten most important ones marked
4) A brief account of research merits (max 1 page)
5) A brief account of teaching merits or a teaching portfolio (max 2 pages)
6) Details regarding the acquisition of research funds
7) A brief research and action plan with the applicant’s vision of how to renew this field of science (max. 3 pages)
8) Contact details of 2–4 persons available for recommendation.
Evaluators: The selection procedure will be carried out by a Recruitment Committee according to the University of Oulu Tenure Track guidelines.
Contact details: In order to receive information and announcements concerning the official selection procedures to be followed when filling this post, applicants must inform the University of Oulu of their contact details for the whole duration of the selection process: more specifically, they must provide both their home and work telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and postal addresses.
For further information and enquiries about this post and the application and selection procedures, please contact:
Prof. Matti Latva-aho, Director of 6GFlagship
phone: +358 40 588 9655
email: matti.latva-aho AT oulu.fi
Prof. Jari Iinatti, Head of CWC–NS Research Unit
phone: +358 40 5329 403
email: jari.iinatti AT oulu.fi
About Oulu, Finland
Finland is full of comfortable and little towns and cities like Oulu. Oulu is probably the best place to live in Finland. We have wonderful nature, a safe environment and clean tap water, highly educated people, vivid cultural life and friendly easy-going atmosphere
Around the World, Finland is known as one of the best places to live is as the World Happiness Report again confirmed in 2019. However, Finland is not only the happiest but also one of safest societies and most equal societies due to its modern welfare system.
Finland has a unique combination of accommodating high-tech cities and cozy rural towns where traffic jams rarely occur, and biking is a safe means of transportation in all four seasons. The city of Oulu by the sea has excellent schools, a vivid cultural life, clean nature and an easy-going atmosphere attracting leading experts, students and families with children. Oulu is also known as a high technology hub, “The home of 5G”.
More about Oulu: https://visitoulu.fi/en/
Edited February 9th, 2021: expectations.