Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Law is looking for a full-time
doctoral scholarship holder in the field of international accountability through the value chain.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the context of a collaboration between the research groups Law & Development and Personal Rights and Property Rights. The wide-ranging subject of your PhD thesis is international accountability through the value chain and relates to how international human rights standards can be used to hold large private entities accountable for their actions. These issues affect global justice between the global North and global South. The research addresses the question of how entities in the North can be held accountable for human rights infringements that happen in their value chain, often in the South. It examines recent and pending legislation on value chain due diligence in selected countries and/or regional organisations. The research can be approached from the perspective of human rights law, public international law and private international law, including private law mechanisms (either in tort or in contract law). You can also choose a different perspective in line with the subject.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the research groups.
- You hold a Master degree in law or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You submit an English research proposal for the research you will be developing in one of the (see above). This proposal of maximum 5 pages includes the following headings: ‘state of the art’, ‘research objectives’, ‘methodology’ and ‘bibliography’. You should pay attention to the international dimension and dimension of comparative law of your subject. The proposal should allow you to successfully complete the PhD in 4 years.
The prior conditions are conditions of admissibility.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s education vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have a particular interest in scientific research in the field of international accountability through the value chain.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 14 February 2022. Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- a motivation letter
- a detailed research proposal of maximum 5 pages for the research you will be developing (see above)
- a detailed overview of your study grades
- your (academic) CV
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: March 7, 2022.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Gamze Erdem Türkelli (firstname.lastname@example.org) or prof. dr. Thalia Kruger (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply