Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Urban Energy Systems Laboratory develops models and concepts for the planning and operation decentralized energy system technologies based on renewable energy and innovative districts, including prototypes and demonstration plants. To strengthen our scientific team we are looking for a
Scientist or Postdoc in building and energy systems simulation and control
You will join a large-scale project where the aim is to identify pathways for the Swiss energy transition. Amongst other projects, your role will be to coordinate activities as WP leader over multiple research institutions as well as be involved in research activities directly. In the respective work package, you will investigate the bottom up assessment of technologies to facilitate individual or coordinated energetic flexibility at operational stage.
Data-driven or first principle approaches shall be developed and applied to real life testbeds (i.e. the Empa NEST demonstrator) or, later on, implementation sites with industry partners.
You will have the freedom to develop and execute your research ideas in close collaboration with our team and our external scientific and industry partners. You will support the dissemination of research findings across the community, which includes collaborating with other lab members and institutes and publishing in scientific journals and conferences.
- Coordination of modelling activities over multiple institutes as WP lead in large scale multi-year project
- Model development and simulation in the domain of district thermal grids and thermal energy storage
- Publish in scientific journals and conference proceedings
- Support of project acquisition
- Supervise MSc students and Co-supervise PhD students
- PhD in physics, engineering or related fields
- Good overview on building energy systems and thorough understanding of HVAC technologies
- Applied experience in buildings and energy systems simulation and control (not only courses visited)
- Proficiency and experience with dedicated building energy systems tools
- Experience in using Python is preferable; Modelica and/or TRNSYS a plus
- Scientific track record with publications in related fields/topics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are mandatory, German language skills are a strong plus
We offer a stimulating, international and collaborative research environment at a leading research institution with an excellent infrastructure and a broad interdisciplinary surrounding. As an institution of the ETH Domain, we offer good employment conditions and plenty of opportunities for your professional development. The workplace is Dübendorf, close to Zürich. The contract will be initially limited to two years with a possibility of extension. The position is available upon agreement.
We look forward to receiving your online application including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas with transcripts and contact details of two referees. Please upload the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered.
Empa, Patricia Nitzsche, Human Resources, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland.